Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What's Up With FOX?

I used to think the programmers at FOX were brilliant. After all, some of the most ground breaking series of all time has run on that network (I know, technically it's not). Maybe it's all been dumb luck. FOX recently cancelled Josh Whedon's Dollhouse. Dollhouse is an incredible series on so many levels. I won't go into all of that here. It was difficult to understand and get into at first, but once I did, I became hooked. The problem is that FOX wanted this show to succeed in a time slot where it never had a shot at finding its audience. FOX never counter-programmed this series, they non-programmed this series. Its audience wasn't watching the competition. They were out on Friday nights.

Now, FOX is playing games with Fringe or as I call it "X-Files: The Next Generation". Fringe is on the ratings bubble and FOX is not giving the J.J. Abrams series a chance to find its audience. Yes, these shows are sometimes difficult to follow and require a little more brain-power than CSI or Law and Order. The FOX network used to give shows like these a chance to find their audiences. Now, they just disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment